When we arrived here at Huachuca City, we discovered that our furnace wasn’t working…at 2am. Fortunately we have an electric heater and it really isn’t that cold here at night, but that’s not something we want to leave un-repaired.
I got some advice from some fellow RVers, and with a little help from google and YouTube I went to work.
It seems the most common problem with these things is the sail switch, which is conveniently located as far away from the access panel as possible and inside the cover for the squirrel cage. That means you have to remove the entire thing.
The opening is slightly larger than the unit, so with some fancy maneuvering it came out (all that time playing Tetris paid off). Fortunately I have access on three sides so removing the gas line wasn’t as bad as it could have been.
Once it was out I had to find the switch, and like I said it was inside the cover. I quickly ran over to RV City just down the road and discovered that they closed at 3pm (it was 3:30) so we had to wait until the next morning to finish. That meant no stove or hot water either.
The new switch was $10 and it became a simple matter of reversing my steps. Putting the thing back in wasn’t too terrible and yay! It worked!
So, saved a pile of money doing it myself, learned something new and we have heat.
Like Red Green always says, “if the women don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.”